Thursday, 10 August 2017

This or That Tag!


So… I had three posts I was supposed during the week and I didn’t get to write them because I’ve worked so much more than usual and for several other reasons (one being a very shenanigan filled scavenger hunt called GISHWHES), but I’m back! And I have posts lined up for the next week that I’ll actually post (I promise).

I figured I’ll do a few tag posts and save the reviews and stuff for when I really work out my blogging style and whether I’ll actually make a book tube channel or not, so today I’m doing the ‘This or That Book Tag’! This tag was created by Ayunda @ Tea and Paperbacks and while I haven’t been tagged in it, I’m doing it anyway (oh, and if you have a book blog and you’re reading this - you’ve been tagged!)
Let’s get started.

Reading on the couch or on the bed?
Definitely on the couch, even though I read more on my bed. I tend to lie on my stomach or rest my head on my hand when reading in bed which is really bad for my back, wrists, and shoulders, but I have some really comfy couches that are great for reading in (on?)

Main character: Male or Female?
I adore reading books with badass female protagonists, or even fantastically written female characters, but sometimes it’s refreshing to read a book with a male protagonist, so both? 

Sweet or Salty snacks while reading?
Salty! I used to be able to eat some really sweet foods all the time, and while I’m still very much a sweet tooth, if I’m going in for a long haul reading session I’ll take some fruit or something savoury with me (it’s more filling and is less likely to make me feel guilty for eating it)

Trilogies or Quartets?
I actually haven’t read too many quartets, so I’ll say trilogies. But if this question was about Duologies and Trilogies? Definitely Duologies (Six of Crows! This Savage Song!)

First Person POV or Third Person POV?
If there’s more than one main character? Definitely, third person, because we can read a few different perspectives every few pages, and it’s not limited to just one characters view, but if the story is told from a single point of view I tend to prefer First Person.

Night or Morning Reader?
I love mornings, they’re so quiet and often quite gorgeous, but I am very much a night owl and because I work nights I usually sleep for most of the morning. I do a lot of my reading in the afternoon/evenings/nights. 

Libraries or Bookstores?
I love both equally, but unless a bookstore has seats where I can read a few pages of a book to make sure I’m 100% about buying it? I’ll go for libraries. Also, you save money!

Books that make you laugh or book that make you cry?
Oh. Um? I love a book that makes me laugh, they’re so fantastic and there aren’t enough of them, but books that make me cry are so satisfying. 

Black or White Book Covers?
I have lots of both, but I think maybe white covers? Lots of them are really minimalistic OR they have heaps of colour on a white background, which is always super fun.

Character driven plot or plot driven characters?
Oooh, that’s a hard one. Okay, maybe Character Driven Plots? I love a plot that impacts the characters and they react to, but some of my favourite books have plot points that happen because of the characters (‘A Gathering of Shadows’, anyone?)
Also if I don't like the character there's a 90% chance that I'm not going to like the book, so characters are the selling point for me.
That’s all!

I’m not going to have my laptop for the next few days because I’m doing the 40 Hour Famine and I’m not bringing my laptop, or any novels with me (I’m slightly terrified, what will I do?!), but I have a few reviews for some new releases coming up soon! ‘In The Dark Spaces’ by Cally Black and ‘No Limits’ by Ellie Marney, which I have a prerelease digital copy of because I got in touch with Ellie, and so far I’m loving it! It’s very Aussie, which is absolutely hilarious to me, even though the tone of the book is quite serious (I do get that, but after reading so many books by American Authors or fantasy books, it’s nice to have some Aussie dialogue, y’know?)
(Actual Footage of me when I get a new Aussie Book)

I’m also going to two launches/releases in the next week! One for ‘No Limits’ and the other is for ‘Gap Year in Ghost Town’ by Michael Pryor which I’m yet to read but I’ve read the first page and I’m excited to read it. I also picked up ‘Monstress’ and Volumes 4, 5, and 6 of Saga, and I’ve been fighting my brother off them until I get a chance to read them. 


I was talking with my Dad the other day about my writing (is that a surprise? I don’t think it is) and he’s given me a deadline for the rewrite of my novel, ‘Heartstrings’, which is a fantasy romance about a Princess called Ava who gets kidnapped, but escapes through her own means  and returns home before finding out that the whole thing was staged so she would be rescued by a Prince, but that backfired as the Prince is now captured because an enemy Kingdom paid off a band of criminals to actually kidnap Ava and she goes to save him. Somewhere along the way, her best friend tags along, helps her save the Prince, and they make an adventure out of a strange situation. There’s a lot more going on than that, but you get the idea. It’s a cute, sweet adventure with two LGBTQIA+ romances, misguided but well-meant attempts at aiding a Kingdom, and a tournament that has all the locals swooning over the young royals. 

We’ve agreed that I’m going to finish that draft, do a quick edit, and start sending enquiries to agents and publishers by mid-September, so that’s just a little intimidating. It’s also been something I’ve been wanting to do since I started writing and sharing my work publicly, so I’m actually going to do something about that. 



As always, Until next time, Meg 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment